Martin Kaptein is a professional and actively performing pianist and educator currently based in the Netherlands. He has a very wide range of interests including the love for philosophy.
Currently Martin is working on projects, which aim to combine the interest of music and philosophy: One of these project is the Scriabin Club, which Martin has founded. The Scriabin Club has three purposes:
- To create a community, where conversations about Art and Life are held.
- To create a learning environment, where new types of teaching techniques are utilized, based on Chinese (Taoist) philosophy and utilizing colors as multisensory enhancements.
- To create a place where information about the composer Alexander Scriabin is shared and distributed.
Moreover, Martin is currently performing solo recitals in multiple countries.
In 2021 Martin was invited to the exclusive and invitation-only “Feuerwerk” Piano academy in Einbeck, Germany.
Martin won the first prize in the famous “St. Cecilia International Piano competition” in Porto, Portugal in 2015, for which he was re-invited for solo-recitals in the consecutive years. In 2019 together with his trio, Martin won the chamber music competition of the ArtEZ conservatory in Zwolle.
Martin studied with famous musicians and teachers, such as Michail Markov (RU), Elena Golovinskaya (RU), Frank van de Laar (NL) and Vitaly Samoshko (UA). Martin holds a Bachelor of Music diploma.
Martin himself is also a passionate piano teacher, and sees himself as an educator in a wider sense of this word.
Detailed Artistic CV
Studies and Degrees
- From age of 5 private piano lessons with Elena Golovinskaya.
- 2008 to 2015 Gymnasium (general qualification for university entrance (=Abitur)) with average grade of 1,8, Missionsgymnasium St.Antonius Bardel, Germany.
- 2015 - 2020 Bachelor Classical Music Performance Piano, ArtEZ conservatory, The Netherlands, teachers Michail Markov and Frank van de Laar.
- 2020 - Masters of Music, Fontys conservatory Tilburg, the Netherlands, teacher Vitaly Samoshko.
Competitions and Prizes
- 2010 3rd prize “International Piano Competition” in Enschede, The Netherlands
- 2012 2nd prize international EPTA competition in Belgium.
- 2012 1st prize “International piano competition virtuosi per Musica di Pianoforte” in the Czech Republic.
- 2015 1st prize in de “St. Cecilia International Pianocompetition” in Porto, Portugal.
- 2016 first price Vught klassiek competition in the Netherlands
- 2017 first price Ulvenhart klassiek competition in the Netherlands
- 2017 first price International Music festival in Loutraki, Greece
- 2017 Publieksprijs VriendenCultuurPrijs (price of public), Tilburg
- 2019 first price chamber music competition, Zwolle, The Netherlands
- 2020 finalist Grachtenfestival in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Masterclasses and Festivals
- 2013 “International Music Festival” in Rhodos, Greece
- 2014 “International Music Academy” in Cremona, Italy
- 2015 Muziekfestival Hernen, The Netherlands
- 2016 “International Piano Festival” in Duzsniky, Poland
- 2017 “International Music Festival” in Athens, Greece
- 2019 Zomerfestival, Helvoirt, The Netherlands
- 2021 Fleisher Winter Academy Baltimore Piano Festival
- 2021 11th International Piano Masterclasses, Katowice, Poland
- 2021 Feuerwerk Piano Academy, Einbeck, Germany
- 2022 PianoLab, Belgium
- 2022 Online Scriabin 150 Festival in collaboration with the Scriabin Society of America
Other experiences, interests and hobbies
- Teaching and Educating
- Chamber music, accompanist
- Technology and IT
- Languages (English, Dutch, German, Russian)
- Working together with people
Updated 27 Apr 2022